Kids love playdough. It is also great for their fine motor development skills and their imaginations. There is no reason to buy playdough any more as it is easy to make yourself. This is the recipe I have had the most success with and doesn’t leave your hands feeling gross. Store playdough in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
2 cups of all-purpose flour
½ cup of salt
2 tablespoons of cream of tartar
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 ¼ cups of boiling water
a few drops Food coloring (optional)
a few drops of an essential oil to add scent (optional)
- In a bowl mix the flour, salt, olive oil and cream of tartar. The oil may make a few clumps in the mixture that’s OK.
- In a pot boil the water and add an essential oil of your choice and the food coloring to the boiling water.
- Pour the boiling water into the bowl with the flour mixture.
- Use a spoon to mix up the ingredients until the dough is combined.
- Check to make sure the dough is not too hot and then knead the dough until it is the desired consistency, you may have to add more flour if it is too sticky.